Cost of Knee Replacement Surgery in Delhi November 23, 2022 Bone Health 31 Views
Factors Affecting the Cost of Knee Replacement Surgery in Delhi
Selection of Hospital for Knee Replacement Surgery in Delhi
The cost of knee replacement surgery varies in different cities and across different hospitals. Private multispecialty hospitals have a higher nurse-to-patient ratio, the latest equipment, and better infrastructure, so the cost of knee replacement surgery is usually higher in private hospitals. The cost of knee replacement surgery is mostly lesser in good government hospitals.
You can get knee replacement surgery done in the following best hospitals in Delhi:
Selection of Doctor for Knee Replacement Surgery in Delhi:
The doctor’s charges for knee replacement surgery in Delhi also add up to the total bill for the treatment. Senior and experienced doctors in private hospitals usually have higher consultation fees and treatment charges, compared to junior doctors or doctors in government hospitals.
Some of the best Orthopedic Surgeons performing knee replacement surgery in Delhi city are:
Type of Knee Replacement Surgery in Delhi:
The total cost of knee replacement surgery in Delhi is between INR 1,50,000 to INR 5,00,000.
The cost of knee replacement surgery varies depending on the type of surgery performed. The different types of knee replacement surgeries may include:
- Total knee replacement surgery involves the replacement of all three compartments of the knee joint.
- Partial knee replacement surgery involves the replacement of only one compartment of the knee joint.
- Patellofemoral knee replacement surgery involves the replacement of the undersurface of the kneecap and the groove that it sits in, known as the trochlea.
- Complex (or revision) knee replacement surgery is performed in cases of severe arthritis or in patients who have had two or three knee replacement surgeries.
- Cartilage restoration surgery is performed in cases of isolated knee joint injury or wear. This area is replaced using living cartilage cells or grafts.
The cost of total knee replacement surgery is generally more than partial knee replacement, patellofemoral knee replacement, and cartilage restoration. A complex or revision surgery may cost even more due to the number of surgeries being performed.
The cost of knee replacement surgery also varies depending on the surgical technique used, which may include the following:
- Open method of surgery involves making a large incision in the knee region to carry out the replacement.
- Minimally invasive surgery involves making a small incision to carry out the procedure. It can be performed in the following different ways:
- Quadriceps-sparing approaches: The surgeon shifts the patella to the side to cut away the affected arthritic bone without cutting through the quadriceps tendon causing less trauma to the quadriceps muscle (muscles present in the leg area) in this procedure.
- Lateral approach: The surgeon approaches the knee from the side rather than the front in patients whose knees bend outwards.
- Computer-assisted surgery: The computer generates a 3D model of the knee joint to allow a more precise alignment of the knee joint.
The minimally-invasive technique involves the use of advanced equipment, has a more rapid recovery, and has fewer complications than open surgery. Therefore, the cost of a minimally-invasive knee replacement surgery in Delhi city is more than open surgery.
- Robotic surgery involves the use of robotic arms to carry out the procedure. The cost of robotic surgery is even more due to the latest technology and equipment being used.
Risk factors of Knee Replacement Surgery in Delhi:
In some cases, like pre-existing medical disorders in patients, a complicated case at the time of the procedure, or some cases of unpredictable complications during the procedure, the doctor’s team may have to perform another surgery or procedure before or after the main procedure, to control the complications.
In most cases, the risks involved are always informed to the patient prior to the surgery, except for unpredictable complications. These are additional charges added to the cost of knee replacement surgery.
In cases of complications, post-procedure complications management and care also involve additional costs.
Insurance coverage for Knee Replacement Surgery in Delhi:
The overall cost of treatment also may reduce, depending upon the insurance plan of the patient. Whether and how much of the knee replacement surgery cost in Delhi city is covered by the insurance depends upon the insurance provider and the insurance policy of the patient.
Some patients may also choose better services from the hospital, whether or not it is covered by the insurance plans of the patient.
Cost Break up of Knee Replacement Surgery:
Knee replacement surgery cost in Delhi has the following cost components, which are added up to the overall cost of the treatment:
Hospital Charges for Knee Replacement Surgery in Delhi:
These charges include the Operation Theatre (OT) charges; the cost of the patient room (whether it is single, double, or triple occupancy, economy class, and the number of days the patient is kept in the room before and after the knee replacement surgery, where the cost of the single room is the highest). In case of complications during or after knee replacement surgery, the patient is monitored in ICU, till the patient is stabilized. ICU charges are added to the total bill of knee replacement surgery.
Surgeon Charges for Knee Replacement Surgery in Delhi:
The total cost of knee replacement surgery will have the doctor fees which may vary from doctor to doctor. The surgeon’s charges also vary according to the complexity of the knee replacement surgery.
Diagnostic tests for Knee Replacement Surgery:
Diagnostic test charges for knee replacement surgery are additional components of the total cost of knee replacement surgery in Delhi city. These are added up to the overall cost. The diagnostic test charges for knee replacement surgery in Delhi city vary according to hospitals. The diagnostic test charges will be higher in private hospital setup than in government hospital setup.
The diagnostic tests for knee replacement surgery in Delhi city are:
- Blood tests
- Urine tests
- Chest x-ray
- Electrocardiogram (ECG)
- Knee x-rays
- CT scans
- MRI scans
Cost of an anesthesiologist:
Knee replacement surgery is generally performed under general anesthesia. Anesthesia makes the procedure painless and comfortable for the patient. The cost of anesthesia and anesthesiologist is added to the total cost of knee replacement surgery.
Cost of medications for Knee Replacement Surgery:
The surgeon will usually prescribe medications before and after knee replacement surgery for a good treatment experience. These medications add to the total expenditure of knee replacement surgery. Although some non-medical items are covered under insurance, many medications are expensive and increase the overall cost of knee replacement surgery.
Cost of prosthesis used for Knee Replacement Surgery in Delhi:
The various components that can be replaced in a knee replacement surgery may include the following:
- Tibial component
- Femoral component
- Patellar component
- Plastic spacer placement between the tibial and femoral components
The above components are either made of metal, plastic, or ceramic. The cost of the prosthesis used is added to the total cost of knee replacement surgery in Delhi city.
The prosthesis used is implanted in the bone in the following different ways:
- Cemented fixation: It involves the use of bone cement to hold the implant in place.
- Uncemented fixation: This technique involves the implants being press-fitted onto the bone.
- Hybrid fixation: This procedure involves a combination of cemented and uncemented fixation.
The cost of uncemented fixation is generally more than cemented fixation, however, uncemented fixation is rarely used.
We hope we were able to answer your doubts about factors affecting the cost of knee replacement surgery in Delhi city through this article.