What is Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) February 9, 2021 Brain Diseases 393 Views
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)?
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a type of mental disorder that alters behavior. People affected by this disorder have trouble focusing their attention on a single task or sitting still for long periods of time. ADHD is a group of disorders that alters behavior. Usually, this disorder affects children, but it can also affect adolescents and even adults. Some therapies can be used to reduce this disorder in children to help correct their behavior. Adults may be at risk of ADHD due to problems with work. In today’s article, let us tell you about ADHD in detail.
- What are the Causes of ADHD?
- What are the Symptoms of ADHD?
- How to Diagnose ADHD?
- What is the Treatment of ADHD?
- How to Prevent ADHD?
What are the Causes of ADHD?
According to researchers, the exact cause of ADHD is still not known. But there are some causes and risk factors of ADHD.
- Such as – Due to some disease or head injury, the brain does not function properly and is not able to control emotions and behavior.
- Children may develop ADHD due to genetic reasons.
- The brain of children affected by ADHD undergoes many changes, because of which their brain fails to perform its function.
- Chemical imbalances occur in the brain of children affected by ADHD.
- During pregnancy, if a woman does not get a balanced diet, has a poor lifestyle, consumes alcohol, drugs, and smokes tobacco, the baby’s brain does not develop properly, and he becomes mentally weak.
Risk factors –
- If the child is born prematurely.(Read more – What is a premature baby)
- Alcohol consumption by the mother during pregnancy.
- Exposure to some toxic substance during pregnancy.
- There is a risk of ADHD if someone is already affected by a mental disorder.
- Certain environmental toxins may increase the risk of ADHD.
What are the Symptoms of ADHD?
The symptoms of ADHD in children can be seen at the age of two to four years.
- Talking too much
- Pay attention to someone else.
- Interrupting others while they are talking
- Having trouble concentrating
- Difficulty in performing daily tasks and activities
- Always being anxious
- Having trouble in finishing schoolwork
- Appear not to listen, even when spoken to directly
- Losing things a lot
- Difficulty in sitting still for a long time (Read more – What is Autism)
How to Diagnose ADHD?
Finding whether a child has ADHD or not is a long process that includes many steps. There is no single diagnosis of ADHD. However, to diagnose ADHD, the doctor asks in detail about all the problems such as anxiety, depression, sleep problems, and some types of learning disabilities.
- In children, general tests can be done to detect other problems with symptoms like ADHD.
- To diagnose ADHD, usually, the parents are asked about the symptoms occurring in children. Apart from this, information about the child’s behavior can be obtained from the teacher.
- If there is a health problem, then the doctor does a physical examination.
- If a parent feels that their child is showing signs of ADHD, talk to your doctor. Also, the child’s teacher can tell about ADHD. The problems faced by children in school are investigated so that their actions can be corrected. If ADHD is indicated, the child can be referred to a specialist for treatment.
What is the Treatment of ADHD?
ADHD can be treated based on symptoms.
- Some medication can be given to control the child’s behavior to some extent. Apart from this, these medicines are stimulants that do not affect everyone.
- Some people are recommended to take a diet rich in omega 3 to reduce the effect of ADHD. According to some scientists, omega 3 may prove beneficial in the treatment of ADHD.
- Some therapies may be used in the treatment of ADHD. These include social education, psychotherapy, behavior modification, etc.
- Social education – to improve the child’s behavior.
- Psychotherapy – In this, the doctor teaches you how to behave in a social setting or around the family and helps to boost self-esteem.
- Behavior Modification – Bad behavior is changed with good behavior.
- Primary Education – Help to teach children in school so that children affected by ADHD can get help.
How to Prevent ADHD?
Following steps can be taken to protect children from ADHD.
- During pregnancy, women should take special care of themselves to avoid any negative impact on the baby’s health. Apart from this, women should avoid consuming drugs, tobacco, and alcohol during pregnancy.
- Children should not be exposed to such places where there is a risk of cigarette smoke and infections.
- According to some studies, watching too much TV and mobile may cause ADHD problems in children, so do not allow them to watch TV and mobile.(Read more – The problem of epilepsy in children)
We hope that your question, what is ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder), is answered through this article.
If you need more information about ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder), you can contact a Psychiatrist.
We only aim to give you information through the article. We do not recommend medication or treatment in any way. Only a doctor can give you good advice because no one else is better than them.
Best Psychotherapist in Mumbai.
Best Psychotherapist in Bangalore.
Best Psychotherapist in Chennai.