What is Memory Loss? Symptoms of Memory Loss November 23, 2020 Brain Diseases 634 Views
What is Memory Loss?
Memory loss is also known as amnesia. Certain brain-related disorders can result in memory loss. Alzheimer’s and dementia patients usually suffer from memory problems. In many people, memory loss is often a result of an accident, such as a severe head injury. A person may have memory problems due to extreme stress. Memory loss occurs in some people for less period of time while others suffer for a long time. Doctors conduct many tests to examine the brain to identify the cause and symptoms of memory loss. Depending on the underlying cause, certain medicines and other treatments can be advised. Let us explain in detail the problem of memory loss in today’s article.
- Symptoms of Memory Loss
- Causes of Memory Loss
- Diagnosis of Memory Loss
- Treatments for Memory Loss
- Prevention of Memory Loss
Symptoms of Memory Loss
The first and foremost symptom of memory loss is forgetfulness. A person with memory loss cannot recall past events of his life. However, memory loss may be reversible or irreversible, depending on its cause. The symptoms may increase with time. Let us outline some other symptoms –
- Changes in the person’s behavior
- Unable to recall old conversations
- Difficulty in performing familiar tasks
- Asking the same thing again and again
- Struggle to complete daily tasks
Causes of Memory Loss
There can be several reasons for memory loss, including head injuries or brain disorders. Let us explain the causes of memory loss –
- Head trauma or injury
- Brain tumor
- Lack of oxygen to the brain
- Sudden memory loss
- Brain surgery
- Lyme disease
- Brain infection
- Memory loss due to mental illness
- Migraine (Read more : What is Migraine )
- Traumatic event
Risk Factors of Memory Loss –
- Increased blood sugar
- Alzheimer’s disease
- High blood pressure
- Old age
Diagnosis of Memory Loss
To diagnose memory loss, the doctor asks the patient’s medical history. He also asks questions regarding the patient’s behavior with his family members. To find out the cause of memory loss and to know the symptoms, the doctor can order some of the following tests.
- Such as – Blood test
- Cerebral Angiography
- Cognitive examination
- CT Scan
- MRI scan
- ECG etc.
Treatments for Memory Loss
- The treatment of memory loss depends on the underlying cause. However, the doctor may prescribe some medicines to improve the patient’s symptoms.
- If the brain is weak due to a lack of nutrients, then it is recommended to include nutrients in the diet. It may also be advisable to take some nutritional supplements.
- To overcome the problem of memory loss, we try to understand the cause of the problem so that the patient can improve.
- Patients with Alzheimer’s disease or dementia are advised by the doctor to take certain medicines, such as Galantamine and Rivastigmine.
Prevention of Memory Loss
The following measures are advisable to prevent memory loss.
- Try to remain away from stress.
- Drink plenty of fluids throughout the day.
- Get at least 7 to 8 hours of sleep at night.
- Do physical activities like exercise and yoga daily.
- To stay mentally fit, listen to good music, or read entertaining books.
- Do not indulge in any activity that can injure your head.
- Do not smoke or drink alcohol.
We hope that your questions about memory loss are answered through this article.
For problems like memory loss, you can consult a Neurologist.
We only aim to give you information through the article. We do not recommend medication or treatment in any way. Only a doctor can give you good advice because no one else is better than them.