Cost of Total Mastectomy in Bangalore November 26, 2022 Cancer Hub 104 Views
Factors Affecting the Cost of Total mastectomy in Bangalore
Selection of Hospital for Total mastectomy in Bangalore
The cost of total mastectomy varies in different cities and across different hospitals. Private multispecialty hospitals have a higher nurse-to-patient ratio, the latest equipment, and better infrastructure, so the cost of total mastectomy is usually higher in private hospitals. The cost of total mastectomy is mostly lesser in good government hospitals.
You can get a total mastectomy done in the following best hospitals in Bangalore:
Selection of Doctor for Total mastectomy in Bangalore:
The doctor’s charges for total mastectomy in Bangalore also add up to the total bill for the treatment. Senior and experienced doctors in private hospitals usually have higher consultation fees and treatment charges, compared to junior doctors or doctors in government hospitals.
Some of the best surgical oncologists performing total mastectomies in Bangalore city are:
Type of mastectomy in Bangalore:
The cost of a total mastectomy in Bangalore is between INR 85,000 to INR 2,25,000.
The cost of mastectomy will vary depending on the type of mastectomy performed. The different types of mastectomy procedures are:
- Total (simple) mastectomy: The nipple, areola, and pectoralis fascia (lining over the chest muscles) are removed in this procedure.
- Radical mastectomy: The entire breast along with the nipple, the areola, the overlying skin, the lymph nodes under the arm, and the chest muscles (the pectoralis major and minor muscles) are removed in this procedure.
- Modified radical mastectomy: The entire breast, including the nipple, areola, pectoralis fascia, some lymph nodes in the armpit region, and the pectoralis minor muscle are removed in this procedure. Since radical mastectomy and modified radical mastectomy are more extensive than total mastectomy, the cost of radical and modified radical mastectomy procedures is more than a total mastectomy procedure.
- Skin-sparing mastectomy: The breast tissue, nipple, and areola are removed, while the skin over the breast is spared in this procedure.
- Nipple-sparing mastectomy: This procedure involves the preservation of the nipple and areola skin.
- Laser ablation for breast cancer: Small breast tumor cells can be destroyed using a laser beam that heats up and kills the cancer cells. This type of procedure is quicker, has fewer complications, and is less painful than the normal surgical approach. The cost of laser ablation for breast cancer is therefore more than the other types of mastectomy procedures.
Risk factors of Total mastectomy in Bangalore:
In some cases, like pre-existing medical disorders in patients, a complicated case at the time of the procedure, or some cases of unpredictable complications during the procedure, the doctor’s team may have to perform another surgery or procedure before or after the main procedure, to control the complications.
In most cases, the risks involved are always informed to the patient prior to the surgery, except for unpredictable complications. These are additional charges added to the cost of a total mastectomy.
In cases of complications, post-procedure complications management and care also involve additional costs.
Insurance coverage for Total mastectomy in Bangalore:
The overall cost of treatment also may reduce, depending upon the insurance plan of the patient. Whether and how much of the total mastectomy cost in Bangalore city is covered by the insurance depends upon the insurance provider and the insurance policy of the patient.
Some patients may also choose better services from the hospital, whether or not it is covered by the insurance plans of the patient.
Cost break-up of Total mastectomy:
Total mastectomy cost in Bangalore has the following cost components, which are added up to the overall cost of the treatment:
Hospital Charges for Total mastectomy in Bangalore:
These charges include the Operation Theatre (OT) charges; the cost of the patient room (whether it is single, double, or triple occupancy, economy class, and the number of days the patient is kept in the room before and after the total mastectomy, where the cost of the single room is the highest). In case of complications during or after total mastectomy, the patient is monitored in ICU, till the patient is stabilized. ICU charges are added to the total bill of total mastectomy.
Surgeon Charges for Total mastectomy in Bangalore:
The total cost of a total mastectomy will have the doctor fees which may vary from doctor to doctor. The surgeon’s charges also vary according to the complexity of the total mastectomy.
Diagnostic tests for Total mastectomy:
Diagnostic test charges for total mastectomy are additional components of the total cost of total mastectomy in Bangalore city. These are added up to the overall cost. The diagnostic test charges for total mastectomy in Bangalore city vary according to hospitals. The diagnostic test charges will be higher in private hospital setup than in government hospital setup.
The diagnostic tests for total mastectomy in Bangalore city are:
- Breast ultrasound
- CT scans
- PET scans
- MRI scans
- Breast biopsy
Cost of an anesthesiologist:
Total mastectomy is usually performed under general anesthesia. Anesthesia makes the procedure painless and comfortable for the patient. The cost of anesthesia and anesthesiologist is added to the total cost of total mastectomy.
Cost of medications for Total mastectomy:
The surgeon will usually prescribe medications before and after total mastectomy for a good treatment experience. These medications add to the total expenditure of a total mastectomy. Although some non-medical items are covered under insurance, many medications are expensive and increase the overall cost of a total mastectomy.
We hope we were able to answer your doubts about factors affecting the cost of total mastectomy in Bangalore city through this article.