Know the benefits and side-effects of Apricot November 22, 2020 Lifestyle Diseases 1128 Views
Apricot is one the world’s most wholesome fruit. Cultivated extensively in Himachal Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir, Apricot is miraculously beneficial for health. The apricot is orange to yellow in color, with a soft peel. The tree is 7 to 10 meters tall with widely spread branches and leaves. Rich in a number of vitamins and minerals, Apricot is not only eaten raw, but is also used to prepare jams and jellies. Let us look into the benefits of apricot.
- What is the nutritional content of Apricot?
- What are the benefits of Apricot?
- What are the side-effects of Apricot?
What is the nutritional content of Apricot?
Apricot is a nutritious fruit rich in vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin E and niacin. It contains a high level of fiber. It also consists of potassium, manganese, magnesium, copper and phosphorus. It helps the body stay healthy.
What are the benefits of Apricot?
Apricot has the following positive health impacts:
- Improves the skin quality: Applying apricot oil on the skin prevents skin related ailments. This is due to the antioxidants present in the apricot.
- Beneficial for the eyes: Apricot contains beta-carotene that keeps the eyes healthy and prevents diseases.
- Treats anemia: Apricot contains iron and copper that help produce hemoglobin. This helps the body generate more red blood cells and reduces tiredness and weakness.
- Cures fever: The vitamins and minerals present in apricot helps treat fever.
- Prevents Cancer: Apricot contains carotene and antioxidants that help the body prevent the growth of cancerous cells.
- Useful for Asthma: Massaging with Apricot oil is beneficial for asthma and provides relief.
- Beneficial for earache: Two drops of Apricot oil are sufficient to cure earache. Scientists believe this is due to the antioxidants present in Apricot.
- Nourishes the heart: The presence of potassium, fiber and antioxidants in Apricot helps to keep the heart healthy by preventing numerous heart ailments.
- Strengthens the bones: The calcium present in apricot keeps the bones strong. Helps in weight reduction: Apricot is rich in fiber that helps in fat removal which in turn helps the body lose weight.
- Useful in pregnancy: Apricot is advantageous to treat infertility, bleeding and cramps. Apricot contain vitamin A, vitamin E, vitamin K, silicon, calcium, phosphorus and iron. The nutrient rich Apricot prevents Anemia and Potassium is beneficial for pregnant women.
- Cures Constipation: Dried apricot is useful for people suffering from constipation. Consuming an apricot daily in limited quantities helps treat this problem. (Read more- What is the treatment of Constipation)
What are the side-effects of Apricot?
Apricot can be disadvantageous in some cases:
- Allergy: Apricot must be consumed if one has an allergy to it. It may cause skin problems.
- Diabetes: Diabetic people must not take dried apricots. Eating apricots are unhealthy for them.
- Low blood pressure: People who have low blood pressure must not consume apricot.
- Remember that the apricot seeds contain cyanide that is extremely harmful if taken in excess. Only 30 seeds of apricot can be consumed in a single day.
If the consumption of apricots cause any health-related issue, contact a General physician immediately.