What are the benefits and side effects of ginger November 22, 2020 Lifestyle Diseases 642 Views
Ginger is a kind of herb which is used as a spice all over the world. Ginger has many health benefits. It has antifungal, antiseptic, antibiotic and antiviral properties. Apart from these, it contains numerous vitamins and minerals. Ginger is also used as a medicine. Let us know more about the benefits and side effects of ginger.
- What is ginger?
- What are the benefits of ginger?
- What are the side-effects of ginger?
What is ginger?
Ginger is known to be a beneficial herb. Ginger has vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin A, vitamin E and vitamin B complex. It contains minerals like magnesium, phosphorus, silicon, sodium, iron, zinc, calcium and beta -carotene which increases body immunity.
What are the benefits of ginger?
Ginger has multiple health benefits, some of which are listed below:
- Enhances digestion: Ginger is very helpful in preventing stomach ailments. It is also beneficial in reducing gastric problems and bloating.
- Improves the bowel movements: Ginger improves the functioning of the excretory system. Ginger has medicinal properties that are beneficial for any disorder related to bowel movements. Vitamin B6 present in ginger is useful for the excretory system. It is advantageous for the pregnant women.
- Prevents arthritis: People who suffer from arthritis, should consume ginger regularly. It contains a high amount of calcium, which strengthens the bones.
- Reduces cough: Ginger is a natural analgesic which relieves throat pain. It reduces cough too.
- Nourishes heart: Ginger maintains the cholesterol level and regulates the blood pressure. As a result, it reduces the threat of heart related diseases. Ginger contains potassium, which is good for health. (Read more- What is a heart attack and what are its causes)
- Control diabetes: Ginger reduces the blood sugar level of the body. It helps in the production of insulin, which keeps diabetes under control.
- Prevents migraine: Ginger tea is quite beneficial to reduce migraine pain. The vitamins and nutrients present in it provides a relief in migraine. (Read more- What is migraine and what are its home remedies)
- Prevents cold: Everyone is familiar with ginger. It proves to be very beneficial in cold due to its antiviral and antifungal properties.
- Controls menstrual pain: Girls should use ginger tea to reduce the pain during menstruation. Ginger contains many antioxidants, which provides relief.
- Prevents cancer: Cancer is a dangerous disease. Ginger kills the cancerous cells. This prevents cancer.
What are the side effects of ginger?
There are some disadvantages of ginger.
- Some people are allergic to ginger. It causes swelling of the tongue and results in body itching. Such people should stop consuming ginger.
- If ginger tea is consumed more than 5 cups, it causes migraine and insomnia.
- People who take medicines for high blood pressure should avoid ginger.
- Excessive intake of ginger can cause stomach ache and diarrhea.
If the consumption of Ginger causes any health-related issue, contact a General physician immediately.