What is a keto diet? What are the benefits of keto diet?Login to Health December 1, 2020 Lifestyle Diseases 33 Views
What is keto diet?
Nowadays, the keto diet is very famous all over the world. With a keto diet, a person can lose weight rapidly. Some keto diet supporters say that it reduces weight in a very short time and also provides more energy to the body, but certain critics say that the keto diet is not good for health. Let us know more about the benefits of keto diet as well as the side-effects.
- What is a keto diet?
- What are the benefits of keto diet?
- What are the side-effects of keto diet?
What is a keto diet?
Keto diet is known because of its low carbohydrate content. Keto diet leads to the formation of ketones in the liver, which are used as energy in the body. It is also known as low burn or high fat diet. If the person takes less amount of carbohydrate in his/ her diet, the condition of the body is called ketosis. It is a natural process, which helps in keeping the human being alive when the quantity of food is reduced. In this case the body produces ketones, which are made by burning the fat of the liver. The main aim of having a keto diet is to reduce the intake of carbohydrates. Special attention must be paid to the fact that less carbohydrates have to be taken.
What are the benefits of a keto diet?
- Reduced weight: Keto diet helps in losing weight and increases the energy in the body. The food which we eat in keto diet, lowers the blood sugar level. Keto diet is more beneficial in people suffering from diabetes type 2.
- Increases the concentration: A keto diet improves the brain’s concentration. A keto diet involves taking less carbohydrates. This proves to be beneficial for the body.
- Removes pimples: Keto diet reduces many skin problems. (Red more- What is the reason for acne)
- Controls cholesterol and regulates blood pressure: Keto diet controls the cholesterol level. The low carbohydrates reduce bad cholesterol and regulate the blood pressure.
- Controls the diabetes: Low carbohydrate and ketogenic insulin help in reducing the blood sugar level. (Read more- Diabetes type 2)
What are the side-effects of keto diet?
There are some disadvantages as well as the benefits of a keto diet.
- The side effect of keto diet is that the body does not get sufficient amounts of nutrients. Less consumption of carbohydrate causes digestive problems like constipation.
- Stiffness, stretching and fatigue of the body can be caused due to keto diet. This is mainly due to electrolytic disturbances.
- People feel lethargic and weak if they do not have a habit of taking a keto diet.
- People who are suffering from thyroid, liver related problem, kidney diseases and constipation should not have a keto diet as this can harm their health. (Read more- What is constipation and how is it treated)
Contact a Nutritionist to get more information about keto diet.