Blood in Stool Causes, Symptoms, Treatments and PreventionLogin to Health November 4, 2020 Lifestyle Diseases 378 Views
Blood in Stool Meaning
You might know that there are many problems related to stool in humans. Some people are not able to pass stool due to constipation, and some have difficulty in defecation because of piles. Excessive blood in the stool is a matter of concern. If your stool is abnormally black or thick, then you should immediately consult a doctor. This condition is known as Melena in the medical language. Digestive system disorders may lead to the mixing of blood from the small intestine with stool, due to which the stool turns black during discharge. This shows that your digestive system is weak. We will tell you in detail: What causes blood in the stool, and what is its treatment?
- What are the Causes of Blood in Stool?
- What are the Symptoms of Blood in Stool?
- What are the Treatments for Blood in Stool?
- Prevention of Blood in Stool?
What are the Causes of Blood in Stool?
There are many internal and external reasons for blood in the stool.
- The excessive black color of the stool is due to bleeding. The blood circulating in the intestinal walls gets mixed in the stool to give it a black color.
- Bleeding inside the abdomen or blood from the small intestine when mixes with digestive juice, take the form of tar.
- Bleeding in the upper part of the digestive system may be associated with other reasons which can cause bleeding with feces.
- Presence of intestinal worms
- Abdominal bloating
- Bleeding from nose
- Weak blood vessel walls
- Inadequate blood supply to some parts of the intestine
- Stomach ulcers
- Acute vomiting
- Some common causes may also be responsible.
- Consumption of chocolate in excess can cause a change in the color of the stool. The color of the stool may appear black.
- Due to iron deficiency or anemia, the color of the stool may change to black.
- Some medicines cause irregularities in the stomach and the stool appears different in color rather than normal.
What are the Symptoms of Blood in Stool?
Bleeding in the stool causes the stool to become black like a griddle. It may be associated with digestive problems. Sometimes, some dark-colored stools are formed normally also. But daily bleeding changes the color of the stool. On coming in contact with digestive juice, the stool takes a tar-like form. You may also notice some other symptoms.
- Feeling tired
- Low blood pressure
- Increase in heart rate
- Difficulty in breathing
- If you are experiencing such symptoms, then you should consult a doctor.
- If you think hemorrhoids to be the reason for blood in the stool, then you should have hemorrhoids checked so that the doctor can detect it.
What are the Treatments for Blood in Stool?
To stop the problem of blood in the stool, one has to understand the reasons behind this problem first. Physicians treat the problem of blood in stool in the following ways.
- If there is bleeding in the stomach due to an ulcer, then doctors prescribe some medicines that can reduce acidity. These medicines help in reducing inflammation.
- If there is bleeding in the stool due to polyps in the stomach, then it is necessary to get treatment because polyps can cause cancer. In some complex cases, it is removed. Chemotherapy and radiation therapy are used to remove polyps.
- If excessive blood is lost in the stool, it can cause anemia. In such cases, blood transfusion is done to prevent deficiency of blood in the body.
- If the problem of bleeding is not cured on its own, then the doctor may do other tests.
- There is no need to worry if there are only small traces of blood in the stool. This can be cured with the right treatment. Doctors may advise you to take some medicines and protein supplements and make some changes in your eating habits.
Prevention of Blood in Stool
The following measures should be taken to prevent blood in stool.
- To avoid the problem of blood in stool, a person should drink plenty of water. Along with this, take a diet rich in fiber. Fiber makes the stool soft. Some sources of fiber are cereals, bran, legumes, beets, etc.
- If you need more information about a fiber-rich diet, then consult your physician. The doctor may give you the appropriate suggestions.
If you have been suffering from blood stools for a long time, then immediately contact a good Gastroenterologist. Best Gastroenterologist of India.
We only aim to give you information through the article. We do not recommend any medication, treatment in any way. Only a doctor can give you good advice because no one else is better than them.