What is anorexia nervosa ? Causes of anorexia nervosa ? December 13, 2020 Lifestyle Diseases 384 Views
What is anorexia nervosa?
Anorexia is a type of eating disorder, also known as anorexia nervosa. In this disease the people have a misconception about their weight and they make various efforts to control their weight. People suffering from anorexia are very cautious about their food so that they can reduce the body weight. Let us get some detailed information about anorexia.
- What is anorexia nervosa?
- What are types of anorexia nervosa?
- What are the causes of anorexia nervosa?
- What are the symptoms of anorexia nervosa?
- How is anorexia nervosa diagnosed?
- What are the treatments of anorexia nervosa?
What is anorexia nervosa?
Anorexia is a mental disorder in which a person becomes very sensitive about his/her weight. In this mental state, he/she starts excessive diet control and exercise. In a such situation, he/she feels that eating food would make them obese. Due to this the eating schedule becomes inappropriate.
What are types of anorexia nervosa?
There are two types of anorexia.
- Restricted anorexia: In this type of disease people restrict their food intake. They always count their calories and take limited carbohydrates. They prefer colored food and do excessive exercise.
- Excessive eating anorexia: In this type of disease most people stop eating. But sometimes they eat a lot. To compensate this, they vomit. This behavior makes them mentally and physically unwell.
What are the causes of anorexia nervosa?
The reason for anorexia has not been known, but it harms a person like other diseases.
- Biological factors: Genetic changes can occur in some people, which may make them more prone to develop anorexia.
- Environmental reasons: Now days people are inspired by foreign culture. They are prone to anorexia to become slimmer.
- Psychological causes: Some emotional factors can cause anorexia. To reduce their body weight some women stop eating. It’s a psychological symptom.
Some other factors:
- Anorexia is very common in girls and women.
- Changes in genes can increase the risk of anorexia.
- Family history
What are the symptoms of anorexia nervosa?
Following are the symptoms of anorexia
- Problems in the menstruation cycle.
- Excessive weight loss.
- Dizziness (Read more- What causes dizziness)
- Constipation problem
- Insomnia (Read more- What causes insomnia and its treatment)
How is anorexia nervosa diagnosed?
Anorexia is tested by doctors by the following methods.
The methods include laboratory tests, physical tests, psychological tests etc.
What are the treatments of anorexia nervosa?
Anorexia is treated in different ways by doctors.
- Psychiatrists improve the behavior of people suffering from anorexia through therapy due to which the patients are urged to eat food.
- The doctors give some medicines which can relieve the anxiety and stress of the patients.
- If there is a significant drop in the weight, then the doctor recommends the patient to be admitted to a health center immediately so that malnutrition can be treated properly.
Contact a General Physician for more information about Anorexia nervosa.