What is cholesterol? What are the causes of high cholesterol? December 22, 2020 Lifestyle Diseases 859 Views
What is Cholesterol?
Cholesterol levels have increased in the people of India from 20 to 25 percent in cities and 15 to 21 percent in rural areas. People get upset due to the increasing cholesterol as it causes serious disorders. It is very important for cholesterol in the blood to be in the normal range. Let us know more about cholesterol.
- What is cholesterol?
- What are the causes of high cholesterol?
- What are the symptoms of high cholesterol?
- What are the side effects of high cholesterol?
- How to control high cholesterol?
What is cholesterol?
Cholesterol is a part of lipids. It is like a smooth wax which is transported through blood plasma in the body. Cholesterol is of two types. LDL (Low density lipoprotein) and HDL (High density lipoprotein)
What are the causes of high cholesterol?
- Excessive use of trans fat and cholesterol in the diet increases the level of cholesterol. It is mainly caused by eating animal’s mutton, milk, eggs, paneer. (Read more- What causes heart attack)
- High cholesterol results mainly due to the increased weight of the body.
- Men have more cholesterol problems than women.
- Excessive smoking increases the cholesterol level.
- LDL can increase the level of bad cholesterol due to excessive intake of some medicines.
What are the symptoms of high cholesterol?
There are following symptoms of high cholesterol.
- Chest pain
- Secretion of bile.
- Weight gain
- Constant pain in feet.
- High blood pressure
- Excessive sweating
- joint pain
- Pain in the head (Read more- What is migraine)
What are the side effects of high cholesterol?
- When the cholesterol increases, the arteries of the blood get blocked.
- A person’s heart is affected by high cholesterol, which increases the chances of a heart attack.
- When the cholesterol increases, it affects the eyesight.
- Stress and mental problem arise when the cholesterol is high.
- High cholesterol affects the kidney if the blood does not flow properly in the body.
How to control high cholesterol?
- By exercising regularly, you can control high cholesterol.
- It is very beneficial to eat fruits and vegetables, which helps in reducing the cholesterol.
- High fat diet, non-vegetarian food and smoking should be avoided because it all increases the cholesterol level.
- Antioxidants should be taken in daily diet. Vitamin C, vitamin E and beta carotene reduce cholesterol.
- Heart patient should take more carbohydrates and nutritious foods in the diet to reduce the amount of cholesterol.
- If the cholesterol level increases then contact a doctor to get the blood test done in order to control the cholesterol.
If you want to know about the ways to reduce the high cholesterol level, contact an Endocrinologist immediately.