Cost of Dialysis in Chennai April 21, 2022 Lifestyle Diseases 274 Views
Factors Affecting the Cost of Dialysis in Chennai
Selection of Hospital for Dialysis in Chennai
The cost of dialysis varies in different cities and across different hospitals. Private multispecialty hospitals have a higher nurse-to-patient ratio, latest equipment, and better infrastructure, so the cost of dialysis is usually higher in private hospitals. The cost of dialysis is mostly lesser in good government hospitals.
You can get dialysis done in the following best hospitals in Chennai city:
Selection of Doctor for Dialysis in Chennai:
The doctor’s charges for dialysis in Chennai also add up to the total bill for the treatment. Senior and experienced doctors in private hospitals usually have higher consultation fees and treatment charges, compared to junior doctors or doctors in government hospitals.
Some of the best Nephrologists performing dialysis in Chennai city are:
Type of Dialysis in Chennai:
The cost of dialysis varies depending on the type of dialysis performed and may include the following types:
1. Hemodialysis uses an artificial kidney, called a hemodialyzer, to remove the extra fluid and waste from the blood. The procedure is performed in a hospital usually three times a week and each session lasts for about four hours.
The approximate cost of hemodialysis in Chennai is INR 10,000 to INR 40,000 per month.
The cost also varies depending on the type of vascular access or entry point that is created in the blood vessels before the procedure by using any one of the following methods:
- Arteriovenous (AV) fistula connects an artery and a vein.
- AV graft is a looped tube. The cost is more than an AV fistula.
- Vascular access catheter is inserted into a large vein in the neck. The cost of a catheter insertion will be more than an AV fistula or AV graft.
2. Peritoneal dialysis involves the surgical implantation of a catheter in the abdomen. The blood vessels inside the peritoneum (abdominal lining) filter the blood with the help of a dialysis solution. This procedure can be done at home or in the hospital.
The approximate cost of peritoneal dialysis in Chennai is INR 20,000 to INR 1,00,000.
The cost varies according to the different types of peritoneal dialysis and may include:
- Continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis (CAPD) in which the abdomen is filled and drained many times each day.
- Continuous cycling peritoneal dialysis (CCPD) or automated peritoneal dialysis uses a machine for cycling the fluid in and out of the abdomen. The cost of this procedure in Chennai city is more than a CAPD.
- Intermittent peritoneal dialysis (IPD) uses the same machine as CCPD, but the process takes more time. The cost of IPD in Chennai city is more than a CAPD or CCPD.
3. Continuous renal replacement therapy (CRRT) is used in patients having acute kidney failure and dialysis can be intermittent or continuous. The procedure may involve either filtration or diffusion and may be done 24 hours a day for a patient in the intensive care unit (ICU).
The approximate cost of CRRT in Chennai is INR 40,000 to INR 55,000 per day.
Risk factors of the Dialysis in Chennai:
In some cases, like pre-existing medical disorders in patients, a complicated case at the time of the procedure, or some cases of unpredictable complications during the surgery, the doctor’s team may have to perform another surgery before or after the main surgery, to control the complications.
In most cases, the risks involved are always informed to the patient prior to the surgery, except for unpredictable complications. These are additional charges added to the cost of dialysis.
In cases of complications, post-surgery complications management, and care also involve the additional costs.
Insurance coverage for Dialysis in Chennai:
The overall cost of treatment also may reduce, depending upon the insurance plan of the patient. Whether and how much of the dialysis cost in Chennai city is covered by the insurance depends upon the insurance provider and the insurance policy of the patient.
Some patients may also choose better services from the hospital, whether or not it is covered by their insurance plans of the patient.
Cost Break up of Dialysis:
Dialysis cost in Chennai has the following cost components, which are added up to the overall cost of the treatment:
Hospital Charges for Dialysis in Chennai:
These charges include the Operation Theatre (OT) charges; cost of the patient room (whether it is single, double, or triple occupancy, economy class, number of days patient is kept in the room before and after the dialysis, where the cost of the single room is the highest). In case of complications during or after dialysis, the patient is monitored in ICU, till the patient is stabilized. ICU charges are added to the total bill of dialysis.
Surgeon Charges for Dialysis in Chennai:
The total cost of dialysis will have the doctor fees which may vary from doctor to doctor. The surgeon’s charges also vary according to the complexity of dialysis.
Diagnostic tests for Dialysis:
Diagnostic tests charges for dialysis are additional components of the total cost of dialysis in Chennai city. These are added up to the overall cost. The diagnostic test charges for dialysis in Chennai city vary according to hospitals. The diagnostic test charges will be higher in private hospital setup than in government hospital setup.
The diagnostic tests for dialysis in Chennai city are:
- Blood tests, which include blood urea nitrogen test, glomerular filtration rate, and creatinine
- Abdominal ultrasound
- Kidney biopsy
- Urine tests
Cost of an anesthesiologist:
Dialysis is done under local anesthesia or general anesthesia (rarely) to make the procedure painless and comfortable for the patient. The cost of anesthesia and anesthesiologist is added to the total cost of dialysis.
Cost of medications for Dialysis:
The surgeon will usually prescribe medications before and after dialysis for a good treatment experience. These medications add to the total expenditure of dialysis. Although some non-medical items are covered under insurance, many medications are expensive and increase the overall cost of dialysis.
We hope we were able to answer your doubts about factors affecting the cost of dialysis in Chennai city through this article. To know more about dialysis, click here: Dialysis