What is Typhoid Vaccine? Cost of Typhoid Vaccine in India? March 18, 2021 Lifestyle Diseases 220 Views
What is Typhoid Vaccine?
Typhoid is a severe type of fever caused by a bacterium called Salmonella typhi. Typhoid occurs more commonly in children as compared to adults. The main cause of typhoid is exposure to infection or contaminated water and food. It results in symptoms such as loss of appetite, fatigue, weakness, and rashes on the skin. According to some studies, severe cases of typhoid have a risk of the life of children. Typhoid disease spreads from one person to another. According to the reports, every year 21 million people get sick with typhoid and 2 lakh people lose their lives in the world. To prevent typhoid, medication and vaccine should be taken at the appropriate time in consultation with a doctor. Let us tell you about the typhoid vaccine and also the Cost of Typhoid Vaccine in India in detail in today’s article.
- Why is Typhoid Vaccine given?
- Dosage of Typhoid Vaccine
- Who should not get Typhoid Vaccine?
- What are the Side Effects of Typhoid Vaccine?
- What is the Cost of Typhoid Vaccine in India?
Why is Typhoid Vaccine given?
The risk of infection is higher in children than in adults. One such infection is typhoid that can be prevented by typhoid vaccine. Timely immunization helps prevent future complications of typhoid. Typhoid vaccine is available in many types. You should talk to your doctor about the amount of vaccine necessary for your child. (Read more – Prevention of Malaria)
Dosage of Typhoid Vaccine
The typhoid vaccine is given to those who are most affected by typhoid fever. Apart from this, the typhoid vaccine may also be given in some other conditions.
- Such as being in contact with a typhoid patient.
- Visiting a place where there is a risk of typhoid.
- If one has to stay in the laboratory to research on typhoid.
- Typhoid vaccines can be given to people of any age. After the first dose of this vaccine, the next doses are given every two years.
- The oral medication of typhoid can be given to adults and children over 6 years of age. It consists of four doses taken on alternate days of the week.
- In some cases, the doctor may recommend a typhoid vaccine to children under two years of age.(Read more – Measles rubella vaccination)
Who should not get Typhoid Vaccine?
In some cases, the doctor recommends not taking the typhoid vaccine. If the infant or adult has some other disease, it is not safe to give the typhoid vaccine. Let us explain further.
- Typhoid vaccine cannot be given if a person is already very ill.
- If the person experiences side effects after the first dose of the typhoid vaccine, then the second dose is not given.
- The oral medication of typhoid should not be given to children below 6 years of age.
- If there is a severe allergic reaction in the body after getting the typhoid vaccine, then the vaccine should not be administered.
- If the child is sick, then the typhoid vaccine can be given once he recovers.
- Those people who have weak immunity should be given the vaccine instead of oral medication for typhoid.
- Before getting the typhoid vaccine, please consult a doctor.(Read more – What is chikungunya)
What are the Side Effects of Typhoid Vaccine?
The typhoid vaccine does not have any specific side effects. If there are any side effects, they usually get cured within a few days. In some cases, serious side effects may occur after taking the vaccine. Let us explain further.
Common side effects of the typhoid vaccine include:
- Fever in infants and adults
- Swelling and pain at the injection site
Severe side effects of typhoid vaccine occur rarely. However, some people may have an allergic reaction due to the vaccine.
- Such as – swelling in the throat.
- Difficulty in breathing
- Dizziness (Read more – What causes dizziness)
- Increased heart rate
Common side effects of the oral medication of typhoid include:
- Having a headache
- Fever (Read more – What are the causes of fever in children)
In some cases, there may be other side effects of oral medication for typhoid.
- Such as – stomach ache
- Skin rashes
What is the Cost of Typhoid Vaccine in India?
The cost of a typhoid vaccine in India can range from around INR 200 to INR 1500. But typhoid vaccines of different brands are available in India, whose price may be lower or higher depending on the quantity. (Read more – What is Pentavalent vaccine)
We hope that we could answer your questions regarding the typhoid vaccine through this article.
If you want more information about the typhoid vaccine, then contact the Child Specialist.
We only aim to give you information through the article. We do not recommend medication, treatment in any way. Only a doctor can give you good advice because no one else is better than them.