What is the Cost of Thyroidectomy in Chennai May 3, 2022 Lifestyle Diseases 169 Views
Factors Affecting the Cost of Thyroidectomy in Chennai
Selection of Hospital for Thyroidectomy in Chennai
The cost of thyroidectomy varies in different cities and across different hospitals. Private multispecialty hospitals have a higher nurse-to-patient ratio, latest equipment, and better infrastructure, so the cost of thyroidectomy is usually higher in private hospitals. The cost of thyroidectomy is mostly lesser in good government hospitals.
You can get thyroidectomy done in the following best hospitals in Chennai city:
Selection of Doctor for Thyroidectomy in Chennai:
The doctor’s charges for thyroidectomy in Chennai also add up to the total bill for the treatment. Senior and experienced doctors in private hospitals usually have higher consultation fees and treatment charges, compared to junior doctors or doctors in government hospitals.
Some of the best General Surgeons performing thyroidectomy in Chennai city are:
Type of Thyroidectomy in Chennai:
The cost of thyroidectomy may vary according to the type of thyroidectomy performed and the technique used to perform the procedure.
The approximate cost of thyroidectomy in Chennai is between INR 60,000 to INR 2,00,000. The different types of thyroidectomy include:
- Total or complete thyroidectomy involves the complete removal of the thyroid gland and tissue.
- Subtotal or partial thyroidectomy involves the removal of a part of the thyroid gland while preserving the thyroid tissue so that the thyroid gland is still functional.
- Lobectomy involves the removal of only one lobe of the thyroid gland.
The different surgical techniques that can be used to perform thyroidectomy include:
- Conventional thyroidectomy involves making a single incision in the neck region to remove the thyroid gland partially or completely.
- Endoscopic thyroidectomy involves making small incisions in the neck region, inserting a tube with a camera on one end (endoscope), and small surgical instruments inserted through these incisions to remove the thyroid gland. This procedure costs more than a conventional thyroidectomy.
- Scarless thyroidectomy is done by making small incisions in the lower part of the lip and inserting a tube with a camera on one end (laparoscope) and other surgical instruments through these incisions to remove the thyroid gland without leaving behind any scar marks. The cost of this procedure is even more.
- Robotic surgery is performed by robotic arms by making an incision transorally (in the mouth) or in the axillary (armpit) region to remove the thyroid gland. The cost of this procedure is even higher due to the latest technology and modern equipment being used.
Risk factors of the Thyroidectomy in Chennai:
In some cases, like pre-existing medical disorders in patients, a complicated case at the time of the procedure, or some cases of unpredictable complications during the procedure, the doctor’s team may have to perform another surgery or procedure before or after the main procedure, to control the complications.
In most cases, the risks involved are always informed to the patient prior to the surgery, except for unpredictable complications. These are additional charges added to the cost of thyroidectomy.
In cases of complications, post-procedure complications management and care also involve the additional costs.
Insurance coverage for Thyroidectomy in Chennai:
The overall cost of treatment also may reduce, depending upon the insurance plan of the patient. Whether and how much of the thyroidectomy cost in Chennai city is covered by the insurance depends upon the insurance provider and the insurance policy of the patient.
Some patients may also choose better services from the hospital, whether or not it is covered by their insurance plans of the patient.
Cost Break up of Thyroidectomy:
Thyroidectomy cost in Chennai has the following cost components, which are added up to the overall cost of the treatment:
Hospital Charges for Thyroidectomy in Chennai:
These charges include the Operation Theatre (OT) charges; cost of the patient room (whether it is single, double, or triple occupancy, economy class, number of days patient is kept in the room before and after the Thyroidectomy, where the cost of the single room is the highest). In case of complications during or after thyroidectomy, the patient is monitored in ICU, till the patient is stabilized. ICU charges are added to the total bill of thyroidectomy.
Surgeon Charges for Thyroidectomy in Chennai:
The total cost of a thyroidectomy will have the doctor fees which may vary from doctor to doctor. The surgeon’s charges also vary according to the complexity of thyroidectomy.
Diagnostic tests for Thyroidectomy:
Diagnostic tests charges for thyroidectomy are additional components of the total cost of thyroidectomy in Chennai city. These are added up to the overall cost. The diagnostic test charges for thyroidectomy in Chennai city vary according to hospitals. The diagnostic test charges will be higher in private hospital setup than in government hospital setup.
The diagnostic tests for thyroidectomy in Chennai city are:
- Blood tests
- CT scan
- MRI scan
- Fine needle aspiration
Cost of an anesthesiologist:
Thyroidectomy is usually done under general anesthesia. Anesthesia makes the procedure painless and comfortable for the patient. The cost of anesthesia and anesthesiologist is added to the total cost of thyroidectomy.
Cost of medications for Thyroidectomy:
The surgeon will usually prescribe medications before and after thyroidectomy for a good treatment experience. These medications add to the total expenditure of thyroidectomy. Although some non-medical items are covered under insurance, many medications are expensive and increase the overall cost of thyroidectomy.
We hope we were able to answer your doubts about factors affecting the cost of thyroidectomy in Chennai city through this article. To know more about thyroidectomy, click here: Thyroidectomy