What are Staph Infections? Symptoms of Staph InfectionsLogin to Health January 14, 2021 Lifestyle Diseases 21 Views
What are Staph Infections?
Staph infections are caused by bacteria called staphylococcus. It most commonly affects the skin and inner part of the nose. However, the area affected by this bacteria gets cured on its own without any treatment. But some people may require antibiotics treatment if the infection does not cure on its own. If these infections enter the body, they can damage the joints, bones, and heart. Because of this, health-related disorders may occur. Therefore, if these infections occur, then treatment should be done immediately to prevent the risk of further damage. Let us explain in detail about staph infections in today’s article.
- What are the Causes of Staph Infections?
- What are the Sign and Symptoms of Staph Infections?
- Diagnosis of Staph Infections
- What are the Treatments for Staph Infections?
What are the Causes of Staph Infections?
- Some people already have staph bacteria on their skin or inside the nose but never develop infections. If a person has a cut or wound, the bacteria enters the body and causes infection.
- Staph bacteria can spread from one person to another. It can also be spread from contaminated objects, such as towels, clothes, door handles, athletic equipment, and remotes.
- If a person infected by staph bacteria cooks food for others, then he may infect other people as well.(Read more – What is Coronavirus infection)
What are the Sign and Symptoms of Staph Infections?
Symptoms of staph infection can develop depending on the type.
- Toxic shock syndrome (TSS) – This may cause high fever, sudden low blood pressure, vomiting, diarrhea, and confusion. Apart from this, there may be sunburn-like rash somewhere on the body. TSS can cause organ failure.
- Skin infections – Skin infections caused by staph bacteria may look like pimples or boils. The skin looks red, swollen, and painful. Sometimes pus or other fluid discharge may come out of it. These can result in convulsions, which turn into a crust on the skin or result in cellulitis, inflammation, and a red area of the skin that feels warm. (Read more – How to prevent coronavirus)
- Bone infection – Bone infection can cause pain, swelling, warmth, and redness in the infected area. It can also cause a person to get chills and fever.
- Endocarditis – Endocarditis causes some flu-like symptoms such as fever, chills, and fatigue. It may also result in rapid heartbeat, shortness of breath, and fluid buildup in the arms or legs.
- Food Poisoning – Food poisoning can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and fever. If there is a lack of water in the body, then dehydration can occur.
- Pneumonia – Symptoms of pneumonia include high fever, chills, and persistent cough. Due to this, the person may also have chest pain and shortness of breath (Read more – What are the causes of pneumonia)
Diagnosis of Staph Infections
- To diagnose staph infections, first of all, the patient undergoes a physical examination to understand the skin problem, and the doctor will ask about the disease history and symptoms.
- If the doctor finds out an infection, then he may perform the following tests to confirm it. Such as taking samples or doing some imaging tests. Apart from this, other investigations can be recommended if needed.(Read more – What is a biopsy)
What are the Treatments for Staph Infections?
- As mentioned above, in many people, staph infections do not show any effects and get cured on their own. People who do not recover need treatment. However, the treatment of staph infection is usually done with antibiotics. Also, for skin infections, the doctor recommends some creams or ointments. If the person develops staph infections, then some medicine can be given to dry out the wound. (Read more – Benefits of Neem to remove fungal infections in the skin)
- In some cases, bone surgery is required based on the severity of the infection. It is done to prevent the spread of infection to other parts of the body.(Read more – The problem of bone fractures)
We hope that we could answer your questions regarding staph infections through this article.
If you want to get more information and treatment about Staph infection, you can contact Infections Diseases Doctor.
We only aim to give you information through the article. We do not recommend medication or treatment in any way. Only a doctor can give you good advice because no one else is better than them.