What is Vertigo ? Treatment of Vertigo November 12, 2020 Lifestyle Diseases 1420 Views
What is a Vertigo?
The word ‘vertigo’ comes from the Latin word ‘Verto’. Vertigo refers to a feeling of dizziness that leads to pain and imbalances. The affected person suffers from extreme sweating, nausea, vomiting and weakness. In some cases, people get dizzy due to heights. Acrophobia causes the fear of heights. The problem arises when the person has a blockage in the ear, brain and nervous system. People belonging to all age groups can have the problem of vertigo, but it is most common among the elderly. Around 15 to 40% of the people suffer from vertigo during their lifespan. Let us look into the details of the treatment of vertigo.
- What is a vertigo?
- What causes vertigo?
- What are the symptoms of vertigo?
- What is the treatment of vertigo?
What is a vertigo?
In the case of a vertigo, a person suffers from dizziness and lack of sight at the same time. A sudden increase in the blood pressure results in a vertigo. Work stress affects the brain directly and this increases the threat of vertigo. Vertigo attacks may last for some time in a few people while it may get serious in the case of some others. Vertigo affects the patients with brain related ailments.
What causes vertigo?
Vertigo increases the threat of several other diseases. Vertigo leads to imbalance in the ear and also causes brain ailments. The following factors cause Vertigo-
- BPPV: Usually BPPV occurs due to movements in sleep, when the calcium carbonate waste get deposited in the veins of the ear. BPPV is common among elderly people.
- Meniere’s disease: It is an ailment of the inner ear that affects the hearing capabilities. This leads to dizziness.
- Vestibular Migraine: The common signs of vestibular migraine are dizziness and headache. It is common among people of all age groups. People who suffer from vestibular migraine cannot tolerate bright light and noise. They do not have any hearing issues.
- Labyrinthitis: It is caused by a bacterial infection that affects the balance vein. This impairs the hearing ability.
What are the symptoms of vertigo?
- Feeling unstable or unbalanced
- Fear of heights
- Hearing loss
- Fear of falling
- Headache due to noise
What is the treatment of vertigo?
- Normal vertigo does not require medical treatment. Its effect reduces with time.
- However, in severe cases, doctors prescribe antibiotics to reduce bacterial infection.
- Physicians recommend antiemetics and anti-histamine medicines to overcome sickness and nausea.
- Doctors recommend a Psychotherapy if the main cause of vertigo is stress and anxiety. The therapy helps treat the problem of vertigo.
If you face problems related to vertigo, contact a General physician.
Our aim is to provide information about ailments. We do not recommend any kind of medicine, treatment or surgery. Contact a doctor for the best advice.