What are the Benefits of Dates?Login to Health November 28, 2020 Lifestyle Diseases 36 Views
Benefits of Dates
Dates are sweet in taste and grow in bundles on a date palm tree. The date palm is cultivated all across the globe to obtain its edible fruits that provide a number of health benefits. While they are high in sugar content, they additionally contain numerous fundamental nutrients. Being rich in fiber content, they also improve metabolism. Fresh dates are available in the market in the months August to December. The plant was first grown in Iraq and later cultivated in numerous Arab countries where it is a staple food.
- What is the nutritional value of dates?
- What are the benefits of dates?
- What are the side-effects of dates?
What is the nutritional value of dates?
Dates contain a surplus of nutrients. They are rich in carbohydrates, lipids, proteins, fats and fiber. Vitamins such as riboflavin (vitamin B2), niacin (vitamin B3), vitamin B6, folate, Phylloquinone (vitamin K) and thiamine (vitamin B1) are found in dates. Dates also contain iron, zinc, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, sodium and calcium.
What are the benefits of dates?
- Treats piles: Hemorrhoids, also called piles is a painful ailment and causes difficulties in defecation. Dates contain fiber that helps cure the discomfort and provides relief. (Read about- What are the causes and treatment of Hemorrhoids)
- Prevents diarrhea: Potassium rich dates are beneficial for children. It prevents diarrhea and is good for the gut. (Read about- What is Diarrhea)
- Controls cholesterol levels: High cholesterol levels in the body have a negative impact on the heart. Dates reduce cholesterol and thus eliminate the risk of heart related ailments.
- Increases immunity: Rich in fiber and vitamins, dates strengthen the body. Antifungal and antibacterial properties of dates fight infections and builds up immunity. A strong immune system avoids the risk of minor diseases like common cold and flu.
- Prevents constipation: The problem of constipation is common among children. A major factor responsible for the same is dietary habits. Dates have a high fiber content which stimulates the excretion process and hence treats constipation. (Read about- What is the treatment of Constipation)
- Improves the sexual health: Researches have proven that dates improve the sexual health by strengthening the body.
- Reduces swellings: Magnesium present in dates nourishes the nervous system that helps reducing inflammation and swellings. Dates taken before bed is beneficial.
- Fortifies the heart: Dates contain iron, vitamin A and lipids that keep the heart healthy and reduces the risk of heart blockage and other heart related problems (Read about- The benefits of Kiwi)
- Strengthens the bones: Dates being rich in calcium, magnesium and potassium improve the bone density and reduces the threats of arthritis and osteoporosis. Doctors recommend having two dates with a glass of milk.
What are the side-effects of dates?
- There are a number of health benefits of dates, but intake of larger quantities can be disadvantageous.
- Dates are rich in calories and cause obesity.
- Dates are harmful for small kids due to the high content of potassium and magnesium which might cause muscle tension.
- Pregnant women require advice from a medical practitioner regarding the amount of dates intake.
If you face any discomfort by consuming dates, reduce the consumption and consult a General physician immediately.
Our aim is to provide information through the article. We do not advise any medication or treatment. Consult a doctor for help.