What is Gluten-Free Diet ? November 17, 2020 Lifestyle Diseases 334 Views
Gluten is a type of protein that is found in wheat. Apart from this, high amounts of gluten are found in foods made from jowar (sorghum), barley, and rye. Gluten plays an important role in weight gain. That’s why all the experts recommend a gluten-free diet. Today in this article, we will get detailed information about the benefits of gluten-free diet.
- What is Gluten-Free Diet?
- What You Can Eat in Gluten-Free Diet?
- What are the Benefits of Gluten-Free Diet?
- Why is Gluten Bad for some people?
What is Gluten-Free Diet?
Gluten is a family of proteins found in wheat, barley, rye, and spelt. Its name is derived from the Latin word “gum” because it gives a sticky consistency to the dough when mixed with water. This glue-like property helps the gluten to form a viscous network that allows the bread to rise when cooked. It also gives the bread a chewy and pleasing texture. Unfortunately, many people feel uncomfortable after eating gluten-rich foods. The most severe reaction is called Celiac Disease.
What You Can Eat in Gluten-Free Diet?
The following food items can be consumed in a gluten-free diet.
- Such as meat, fish, egg, gluten-free dairy products, milk, curd, etc.
- All types of green vegetables and fresh fruits that are gluten-free.
- Grains include quinoa, rice, buckwheat, tapioca, sorghum, corn, millet, amaranth, arrowroot, teff, and oats (if gluten-free).
- In starch and flour, potato, potato flour, corn, corn flour, chickpea flour, soy flour, almond meal flour, coconut flour, and tapioca flour.
- All kinds of nuts and seeds.
- All types of vegetable oil and butter.
- All types of herbs and spices.
What are the Benefits of Gluten-Free Diet?
Gluten-free diet has many health benefits for people suffering from Celiac Disease.
The benefits of a gluten-free diet for good health are as follows.
- In relieving digestive symptoms: – Most people try a gluten-free diet to treat digestive problems like bloating, diarrhea or constipation, gas, fatigue, and many other symptoms. Studies have shown that following a gluten-free diet can help reduce digestive symptoms for people with celiac disease and non-celiac gluten sensitivity. In one study, 215 people with celiac disease followed a gluten-free diet for six months that helped in reducing stomach aches and other symptoms like diarrhea and nausea.
- In reducing weight: – Gluten increases body weight. But if the person excludes gluten from their diet and includes fiber-rich food, then it definitely helps in weight reduction.
- In reducing chronic inflammation in people with celiac disease: – Inflammation is a natural process that helps the body to treat and cure infections. Sometimes the swelling in the hands may last for weeks, months, or even years. Several studies have shown that a gluten-free diet can reduce the level of inflammatory markers such as antibodies. It can also help to treat intestinal damage caused by gluten-related inflammation in people with celiac disease. People with non-celiac gluten sensitivity may also have lower levels of inflammation. However, it is not entirely clear.
- In boosting energy: – People with celiac disease often experience tired, sluggish or “brain fog”. If you have celiac disease, switching to a gluten-free diet can boost your energy levels and prevent you from feeling tired and lethargic.
Why is Gluten Bad for some people?
Most people can consume gluten without experiencing any side effects. However, people with gluten intolerance or celiac disease cannot tolerate gluten. People with other disorders such as wheat allergy and non-celiac gluten sensitivity also often avoid gluten. That is, gluten is bad for them.
If you need more information about the Gluten-Free Diet, then contact a Nutritionist.