What is Stomach Ulcer or Peptic Ulcer?Login to Health November 16, 2020 Lifestyle Diseases 116 Views
Meaning of Peptic Ulcer
A peptic ulcer is a type of wound that affects the inner lining of the stomach. A stomach ulcer is also known as Gastric Ulcer. These ulcers may also occur in the outer part of the intestine. This type of ulcer is also known as Duodenal Ulcer. Both duodenal and stomach ulcers are collectively known as Peptic Ulcer. Today, we will explain Peptic Ulcers in detail.
- What is Peptic Ulcer?
- Types of Peptic Ulcers?
- What are the Causes of Peptic Ulcer?
- What are the Symptoms of Peptic Ulcer?
- What are the Treatments for Peptic Ulcer?
- How to Prevent Peptic Ulcer?
What is Peptic Ulcer?
Peptic ulcer is a condition in which blisters develop in the inner part of the stomach. As the disease progresses, these blisters turn into a deep wound leading to more problems for the patients. This situation arises when the stomach starts producing more acid due to bad eating habits. This disease may also occur due to a bacterial infection.
Types of Peptic Ulcers?
There are three types of Peptic Ulcers.
- Gastric Ulcer – This ulcer occurs in the stomach.
- Esophageal Ulcer – This ulcer occurs in the food pipe.
- Duodenal Ulcer – This ulcer occurs in the small intestine.
What are the Causes of Peptic Ulcer?
- Due to stress, acid production increases in the stomach that later takes the form of peptic ulcers.
- Consuming an excessive amount of pain killers for fever or pain leads to acid production in the stomach.
- Eating high amounts of spicy food produces acid in the stomach, and this results in peptic ulcers.
- Smoking does not cause ulcers, but it aggravates the disease.
- Ulcers can occur due to bacterial or other infections in the stomach.
What are the Symptoms of Peptic Ulcers?
The following are the symptoms of peptic ulcers.
- Extreme pain in the upper abdomen.
- Ulcer pain usually lasts from a few minutes to a few hours.
- Generally, the pain is more in the morning and at night.
- Bleeding is considered the main symptom of ulcers.
Common symptoms of ulcers:
- Loss of weight
- Loss of appetite
In severe symptoms:
- Dark-colored blood appears in the stool.
- Black colored fluid coming out with vomiting. In such a situation, visit a hospital and get your treatment done.
What are the Treatments for Peptic Ulcers?
- Firstly, the doctor conducts some tests like X-ray or endoscopy to detect the peptic ulcer.
- Then for the physical examination, he conducts a test for Helicobacter pylori bacteria. If the patient has Helicobacter pylori infection, then the doctor may suggest some other tests.
- Stool test
- Blood test
- Urea Breath test
- For the treatment of peptic ulcers, the doctor recommends to start eating healthy and avoid smoking.
- Some medications to reduce Helicobacter pylori infection are prescribed. If the medications do not provide relief, then some therapy is advised such as triple therapy and double therapy.
How to Prevent Peptic Ulcer?
- Consume a low amount of tea, coffee, cold drink, and junk food.
- Keep a time interval of at least two hours between eating and sleeping.
- Eat food rich in fiber. But avoid spices.
- Do not eat food while watching television.
- People drink sweet liquids like juice and lassi quickly, which is wrong. These fluids should be drunk slowly so that the saliva gets mixed with the drinks for fast digestion.
- Avoid smoking.
- Take a pain killer only on doctor’s advice.
- Exercise regularly.
- Always try to be calm and relaxed.
For more information or treatment of peptic ulcers, or blisters, contact the Gastroenterologist doctor immediately.