What are the benefits of having sex during pregnancy? February 1, 2021 Womens Health 591 Views
Sex During Pregnancy
Pregnant women often wonder whether it is safe to have sex with their partners during pregnancy. Many women avoid sex during pregnancy fearing that it may cause some harm to the unborn baby. Some women even fear that sex during pregnancy may lead to the abortion of the unborn baby. However, this is not true. Sex is a normal and natural part of pregnancy, provided that it is a normal pregnancy and the gynecologist has given you a green signal for the same.
In today’s article, we will discuss in detail whether it is safe to have sex during pregnancy and which sex position should be adopted to prevent any kind of harm to the unborn baby.
- Is it safe to have sex during pregnancy?
- When should you not have sex during pregnancy?
- Can you have sex during pregnancy or not?
- What positions are safe when having sex during pregnancy?
- Should condoms be used when having sex during pregnancy?
- What are the various benefits of having sex during pregnancy?
- Can sex during pregnancy cause miscarriage?
Is it safe to have sex during pregnancy?
If a woman has a normal pregnancy and the doctor has given his permission for the same, then sex during pregnancy is considered safe and normal. The unborn baby is protected by the amniotic sac’s fluid which prevents any harm to the baby during intercourse.
When should you not have sex during pregnancy?
Sexual intercourse is not recommended by doctors in certain health conditions such as-
- When the water bag has broken
- In cases of leaking amniotic fluid
- If there are any abnormalities in the cervix or the cervix has opened too early in the pregnancy (cervical incompetence) ( Read more about – Uterine cancer in Hindi )
- If your partner is diagnosed with any sexually transmitted disease
- In cases of sudden vaginal discharge, bleeding, or cramping without any known cause
- History of miscarriages or abortion
- If you are at a risk for miscarriage
- History of a premature baby (Read more about – What does a premature baby look like ? in Hindi )
- In the case of placenta previa, that is, when the placenta of the baby is too low in the uterus.
- If contractions occur before the 37th week of pregnancy, that is, there is a risk of preterm labor
- In cases of women expecting twins, triplets, etc.
Can you have sex during pregnancy or not?
Every pregnancy is different, and every woman’s experience during pregnancy is also different, which includes how a woman feels about sex during pregnancy. For some women, sexual desire is lost during pregnancy. While for some, there is an increase in sex drive during pregnancy. Continuous hormonal changes taking place during pregnancy also affect the libido of a woman.
- According to health experts, it is generally safe to have sex during the first trimester of pregnancy. However, fatigue, nausea, and tenderness of the breast may kill the sex drive of some women during the first trimester.
- During the second trimester, the woman’s pregnant belly does not grow too much, therefore making it convenient to have sex. The woman usually feels comfortable during this time and may have high sex libido.
- It is not advisable to have sex in the third trimester of pregnancy because of the fatigue and a big pregnancy belly, that causes discomfort in having sex.
( Read more about – What is a high-risk pregnancy? in Hindi )
What positions are safe when having sex during pregnancy?
- A woman should avoid lying on her back in the missionary position after her fourth month of pregnancy to avoid constriction of the major blood vessels by the growing weight of the baby. The woman may lie on the side with her partner lying behind, get on top, or get on her hands and knees with her partner kneeling behind. These positions reduce pressure on the growing belly of the woman.
- Oral sex is generally safe, but the partner should avoid blowing air into the woman’s vagina as this could lead to air embolism (blocking of a blood vessel by an air bubble). This could be a life-threatening condition for the baby and the mother.
- Although Anal sex does not harm the baby, but, it may be uncomfortable for the woman if she has pregnancy-related hemorrhoids. Also, vaginal sex should be avoided immediately after anal sex as this could lead to the spread of bacteria from the rectum to the vagina causing an infection.
Should condoms be used while having sex during pregnancy?
If a woman is not sure about her partner’s sexual history, it is advisable to use condoms.
Pregnancy cannot protect against STDs (sexually transmitted diseases) like herpes, HIV, Chlamydia, or genital warts. These infections can affect the woman and the unborn baby.
( Know more about- Ovarian cyst removal surgery in Hindi )
What are the various benefits of having sex during pregnancy?
Most people believe that having sex during pregnancy is harmful, which is incorrect. On the contrary, having intercourse during pregnancy has many benefits. Some of the benefits of having sex during pregnancy include:
- Sex during pregnancy usually means better orgasms due to increased blood flow. Orgasms release endorphins, leading to relaxation for both the mother and the child.
- Blood pressure tends to remains normal if having sex during pregnancy. It is beneficial for the woman, as high blood pressure during pregnancy can increase the risk of preeclampsia.
- Sexual intercourse helps in reducing stress, as well as helps in the production of the oxytocin hormone. This further strengthens the bonding with her partner.
(Read more about – Fatigue during pregnancy in Hindi )
- Sexual intercourse during pregnancy helps in improving the circulation of blood in the body, which is helpful for both the mother and the child.
- Sexual intercourse is known to improve the immunity of a pregnant woman. A study shows that sex increases the IgA antibody level in the body, which reduces the risk of cough and cold, and other infections.
Can sex during pregnancy cause miscarriage?
Many people believe that having sex during pregnancy can cause abortion. This is not true. There is an amniotic sac in the uterus. This sac is filled with the amniotic fluid that cushions the baby. The baby is also protected by the abdomen and uterus muscular walls.
There is also a mucus plug that protects the child from infection. This mucus plug prevents the male penis from reaching the child.
It is advisable to avoid sex in the last month of pregnancy, as a chemical reaction occurs in the woman’s body during sexual activity that increases the excitement and risk of labor pain.
( Read more about – Why is there swelling in the feet during pregnancy? )
We hope that your questions about the benefits of having Sex during Pregnancy are answered through this article.
Take your Gynecologist’s appointment for more information about whether you should have sex during pregnancy.
Our only aim is to provide you with information through this article and we do not recommend any medication or treatment in any way. Only a qualified doctor can give you the right advice and the correct mode of treatment.