Who is an orthopedic surgeon?
An orthopedic surgeon is a practitioner dedicated to the examination, operation, prevention, and rehabilitation of injuries, disorders, and illnesses of the body's musculoskeletal system.
What does an orthopedic surgeon do?
An orthopedic surgeon is a doctor who is trained in the examination, operation, prevention and rehabilitation of disorders, injuries and illnesses of the musculoskeletal system of the body. The musculoskeletal system includes bones, nerves, joints, ligaments, muscles, and tendons.
Their responsibilities involve:
- Diagnosis of injury or disorder
- Treatment with medication, casting, surgery, exercise, or other options
- Rehabilitation by suggesting exercises or physical therapy restore movement, strength, and function
- Prevention with information and treatment plans to prevent injury or slow the progression of the disease.
What are the surgeries performed by an orthopedic surgeon?
The most commonly performed orthopedic surgeries are:
- Bone Fusion. Like spinal fusions, it uses grafting to join fractured bones together.
- Debridement. It means the removal of dead tissues.
- Internal Fixation of Bones. It places pieces of bones together and holds them in place using pins, screws or plates so that they can heal.
- Joint Replacement surgeries. These surgeries replace an injured joint with a prosthetic and are among the most common orthopedic procedures. Common joint replacement operations include hip and knee replacement surgeries.
- Osteotomy. This operation is to help correct the deformity in the child so that the bone grows properly.
- Revision Joint Surgery. If an existing implant has failed, it may be required to remove it and insert a new one. Revision surgeries are often required when the patient received a poor implant or an older implant has decayed.
- Soft tissue repair. It focuses on torn ligaments or tendons.
- Spinal Fusion. It joins the vertebrae together to give more durability to the spine or to repair damage to the spine.
What are the diseases treated by an orthopedic surgeon?
Common orthopedic disorders treated by orthopedic surgeons are:
- Arthritis: Osteoarthritis, Rheumatoid Arthritis, and Treatment for Arthritis.
- Elbow Pain and Problems; Cubital Tunnel Syndrome, Lateral Epicondylitis (Tennis Elbow), and Medial Epicondylitis (Golfer's or Baseball Elbow).
- Foot Pain and Problems
- Hip Fracture
- Low Back Pain
- Hand Pain and Problems: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
- Knee Pain and Problems: Ligament Injuries to the Knee and Torn Meniscus.
- Neck Pain and Problems
- Paget's Disease of the Bone
- Shoulder Pain and Problems
- Soft-Tissue Injuries
Is an orthopedist the same as an orthopedic surgeon?
Orthopedic surgeons may be Medical Doctors or Doctors of Osteopathic Medicine who have completed a 5-year surgical residency centered about the treatment of musculoskeletal conditions, while orthopedists specialize in the analysis and treatment of almost all bone and joint disorders, such as spinal disorders.
What is the difference between an orthopedic surgeon and a rheumatologist?
Both a rheumatologist and orthopedist treat joint pain as part of their specialty, whether the pain is acute or chronic. The main difference and overlap between an orthopedist and a rheumatologist is that a rheumatologist is a medical specialist and an orthopedist is a surgical specialist.
Book Appointment with the Best Orthopedic Surgeon in Chennai city.
On LogintoHealth, you can view profiles and timings of top Orthopedic-surgeon in Chennai and book the appointments with the Best Orthopedic-surgeon of the city. You can also call our customer care team and they will help you select the right Orthopedic-surgeon for your medical condition. You can see which hospitals the Orthopedic-surgeon visits and also read articles on our LogintoHealth blog on Orthopedic Surgeon related topics and procedures.