Dr. ABC XYZ
Tips For Healthy Blood Pressure - 3rd April 2016
For Healthy Blood Pressure:
- Keep a healthy weight. Ask your doctor if you need to lose weight.
- Be physically active. Get moving for at least 30 minutes most days of the week.
- Eat a healthy diet. Choose an eating plan rich in vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and low-fat dairy and low in saturated fat and added sugars.
- Cut down on salt. Many Americans eat more sodium (found in salt) than they need. Most of the salt comes from processed food (such as soup and baked goods).
- Drink alcohol in moderation, if at all. Men should have no more than 2 drinks a day; women no more than 1 drink a day.
- Don’t smoke. Smoking raises your risk for heart disease, stroke, and other health problems.
- Get a good night’s sleep. Tell your doctor if you’ve been told you snore or sound like you stop breathing briefly when you sleep— a possible sign of sleep apnea. Treating sleep apnea and getting a good night’s sleep can help reduce blood pressure.
- Take prescribed drugs as directed. If you need drugs to help lower your blood pressure, you still should follow the lifestyle changes described above.
Source: NIH News In Health, January 2016